This article is dedicated to all University, High School and College staff workers that are involved in gathering and managing scholarship applications from their students. Scholarships are offered by other institutions, too, so you can continue reading this post if interested.
How do you process scholarship applications? As a master’s graduate, I remember applying for a scholarship at my University. I had to fill out a scholarship application on paper and hand it over to the designated department together with other documents. I don’t recall if I needed to write down a scholarship application letter, but I do know that many institutions demand this type of essay. Why am I telling you this? Because it so happened that my scholarship application got lost, confirmed by one of the staff members when I’ve asked about my application at a later date. So I’ve filled out another application and hoped for the best. Could you imagine the frustration?
Suppose I’ve used an online version of the scholarship application. Could it have been better? Digital data loss is not as possible as physical data loss, as long as your data is stored in a secure database with a good backup system. But do you consider investing in an in-house scholarship management system as being the best option? You’d have to pay a programmer to code this type of tool and hire an admin that will maintain and update it regularly. There are easier solutions than that.
You need a way to collect scholarship applications in an automated manner, approve these applications with the push of a button and create a history of them for future references. If you could group these applications based on their type, it would be a charm. Here’s the flow:
- Students fill out an online form with all the requirements for a scholarship they want to apply to. They can upload any special documents with the use of a button.
- You are notified by email that a new scholarship application has been sent to your department.
- The application is either saved immediately in a secure repository on your network or only after you’ve approved it.
- Whenever needed, you can print or export these scholarship applications from your repository.
Moving back to my story. If my scholarship application would have been submitted online, it wouldn’t have been lost. And my guess is that you are interested in preventing this from happening with your students. So how do you get started? The answer is easy: create an online scholarship application form.
On 123FormBuilder, you can use the template to save yourself some time from building it from scratch. Just drag & drop the fields that you want to use, customize them, configure the form as you see fit and publish it on the website of your institution. All submitted applications will go in your inbox and a repository known as the Submissions section.
Here are some of my recommendations for building a great scholarship application form:
- Start with the template and modify it in the form editor.
- Use the file upload field to collect other required documents from the student (e.g. ID, birth certificate).
- Add multiple recipients if more than one person or department handles your scholarship program. I would use rules to send out notifications to different departments or faculties based on the type of scholarship the student has applied to, if the form is used for applying to more than one scholarship.
- Customize your thank-you page with a friendly text and confirm to your student in an autoresponder email that the application has been received for approval.
- Use the submission approval feature to approve or reject each incoming scholarship application.
- Add CAPTCHA to your scholarship application form to prevent spam.
If you have a limited number of scholarships that you can give out, you can limit your submissions to a precise value in the Security section of your form. That way, after having approved the maximum number of scholarship applications, the form will be automatically disabled.
In conclusion, e-scholarship application forms are the way to the future. Stop printing scholarship application and save the money for a better procedure. By using the scholarship application form by 123FormBuilder, you can rest assured that all scholarship applications are carefully saved in the Cloud, where you have full access to manage them as you want.
If you’re interested in managing scholarship applications online with 123FormBuilder, don’t hesitate to get your copy of the scholarship application form template.